Homogentisic acid oxidase deficiency. it is a rare inherited genetic disorder in which the body cannot process the amino acids phenylalanine and tyrosine, which occur in protein.
- Dark spots in the sclera (white) of your eyes.
- Thickened and darkened cartilage in your ears.
- Blue speckled discoloration of your skin, particularly around sweat glands.
- Dark-colored sweat or sweat stains.
- Black earwax.
- Kidney stones and prostate stones.
This enzyme is used to break down a toxic substance called homogentisic acid. When you don't produce enough hgd, homogentisic acid builds up in your body. The buildup of homogentisic acid causes your bones and cartilage to become discolored and brittle.